Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Career Path

This time last year I had just graduated from Nursing School and was getting ready for the NCLEX test to be an LPN. After I passed the state boards, I was excited about my future.
I began applying for jobs. This process was disappointing. I guess I had never realized how hard it would be to find a job after graduation.
After dozens of applications sent, I posted my resume on monster.com. It wasn't very long before I got a call about an interview. However, it was not in nursing. I was being interviewed for an administrative assistant position. My five years of experience had peaked someones interest. Being open minded, I went to the interview. I was so excited after the position was offered to me.
However, I quickly poisoned the excitement with my guilt of leaving my children and how hard I had worked to become a nurse not to work as one. Due to a lack of support system and confidence, I resigned. I felt that I would only disappoint my employer. With great sadness, I left.
So then I began to look for a part time nursing position so I could be at home more and would be able to make a difference as a nurse.
Over the past 7 months I have grown so much because of the decision I made and suffering the consequences of my bad choices.
It is hard to admit when you make a mistake. It is even harder to get back on your feet afterward.
I had to realize that leaving my job was not the only mistake I made. Maybe I should have never went to nursing school to begin with. I can not be too hard on myself for this because I did learn a lot during my three struggle to graduate. I realized that there is such a thing as "taking on too much". I also learned that excuses do not get you anywhere. Finally, I learned that even if you work hard at something, success is not guaranteed.
All in all my experience humbled me greatly. Although I have a lot of talents and experience, I must realize that in the end I a human being. I am not some superhero capable of squeezing more than 24 hours out of a day.

No comments: